8.03.2011

Do you know Nneka?

Photos of Nneka from German Vogue, August 2010

You may not know Nneka. But if you don't, you're missing out. She is a Nigerian born and raised singer that I was introduced to a couple of years ago. Since the moment I first heard her soulful, pure voice, I was in musical bliss. I've since been to three of her shows in New York, and next time she comes, I'll be there. Her sound is hard to pin down in one category, but it's sort of a blend of Bob Marley, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu and K'naan. She has her own very unique style, and although she's a tiny person, she has an enormous presence and has a true passion for her country and her continent that really shines through in her musicality.
The video below gives a good introduction to Nneka with her music in the background. I think after you check her out, you'll be "Nnekafied" and be downloading all her albums :)

No comments:

Post a Comment