8.04.2010

Special Baking Assignment :: Part 3

Just a few more suggestions ! One is this cake. I have made it in many times as it is originally intended :: with Strawberries. But like the terrine, I think its the perfect opportunity to showcase what is most ripe and in season. While berries are up there right now, I was making strawberry cupcakes and a terrine of berries. On top of that, I had made the mama-to-be this cake ages ago (she probably doesn't remember !) when she was my neighbor in a tiny little studio on Morton Street. AND she had recently mentioned how good peaches were to her at the moment. The great thing about this is its a very simple vanilla cake poured in a pie plate with fruit dropped in. If I had had time to test it first I was day dreaming about grilling the peaches first, maybe with brown sugar on them ? Maybe Balsamic ? Would the peaches be too cooked with grill then bake ? I'll let you know if I ever have a chance to try. In the meantime, I had a few guests say it was their favorite on the table. Try it with any ripe berry or stone fruit or combo (the berries certainly are prettiest !). Thanks again Martha.

Makes one 10-inch cake

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved (here is where I substituted 1 lb de-pitted + sliced ripe peaches)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
  2. Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.
  3. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
  4. Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Cut into wedges. Cake can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered, up to 2 days.

1 comment:

  1. NOT REMEMBER?! Of course I remember! I had to squeeze it in my mini fridge & had a slice (or two, or three) every day til there was nothing left. It was delish! As was this peach cake.

    You're the best, Lizzy!!

    ReplyDelete