3.09.2010

Baking therapy


Lately everything I've baked has been oat based. Granola bars for a friend last week, granola yesterday. I was a little bummed about the canceled trip (I know, I know, much worse things happen in people's days than a canceled trip to Pakistan), and when in doubt ? I bake. I think Ive been enjoying the oat based goodies because they feel wholesome, and like youre really sending a love one love. Or a hug. Last week to a friend in LA, yesterday for my sister to bring home with her. I used David Leibovitz's granola recipe that he adapted from Nigella. He had me at "lots of clusters." My little twist was dried cranberries because I know my sister likes them.

The Top Granola ::

5 cups (450g) multi-grain flakes or old-fashioned rolled oats
3 cups (375g) almonds, coarsely chopped
1 cup (125g) sunflower seeds
3/4 cup (100g) untoasted sesame seeds
1/2 cup (120g) packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried ground ginger
1 teaspoon sea salt


3/4 cup (180g) unsweetened applesauce (or another unsweetened fruit puree)
1/3 cup (100g) rice syrup
1/4 cup (80g) honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil


Preheat the oven to 300F (150C).


1. In a very large bowl, mix together the flaked grains or oats, almonds, sunflower and sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.


2. In a small saucepan, warm the fruit puree with the rice syrup, honey, and oil.


3. Mix the fruit mixture into the dry ingredients until thoroughly dispersed, then divide and spread the mixture evenly on two baking sheets. (If you have ones with sides, often called jelly-roll pans, use them.)


4. Bake the granola for about 45 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until the granola is deep golden brown.


5. Remove from oven, then cool completely.


Store the granola in a large, airtight container. It will keep for up to one month.

2 comments:

  1. Lizzy - Next time you need some baking therapy, here are a couple of thoughts

    1) You're the best baker ever

    2) I love chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's it Al. Chocolate is on its way to you...

    ReplyDelete