10.27.2009

Confession.

This confession is a few fold. First of all, no this is not a church like confession, even if the tacky flowers above seem suiting for an alter somewhere (Sorry Lord, I know you don't judge us on our alter arrangements). I have to confess that I am responsible for the flowers above. I am taking a floral class at the Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. Above you see my "triangular" arrangement made yesterday -- typical of, yes, funerals and alters. But more than the shape, its the actual flowers. And the Lemon Leaf and filler flower (can't remember the name) are an upgrade from last weeks leather leaf and--gasp--baby's breath. I have to remind myself over and over that I am learning principles. Nice flowers come when you know what you're doing and they're not being wasted. But here is the second part of my confession. I'm embarrassed carrying them home! I have now told my doorman, a cashier at a vegan takeout restaurant, and a fellow elevator rider in my building that they are what they are because its a class. Can you imagine how ridiculous one has to be to feel the need to disassociate themselves from carnations? (Forgive me Father for I have sinned -- vanity. Shear vanity.)

But in the spirit of all of the beautiful flowers that are out there I have pulled some recent favorites off the web. Above are teeny tiny baby arrangements in glass salt and pepper shakers done by and for Sunday Supers. Lately I have been absolutely loving that pop of black or navy in arrangements from berries like this or from the center of anemones.

And here is another recent obsession--which I guess was triggered by the fact that they're everywhere right now. Succulents. I used to despise Cacti. Can't get enough now. Here are center pieces done by La Fleur for a wedding I found on Green Wedding Shoes.

Generally I like Bridal Bouquets to be simple and without much color. The dress and the glowing bride should be what is shown off as she struts down the aisle. Above Studio Choo did a breathtaking job of making a quiet bouquet without the simplicity, These colors and arranging are a serious work of art without being overpowering [also spotted on green wedding shoes!]

And I am loving this fresh green and white wreath. I always have fantasies about getting Christmas wreathes, spring wreathes, herb wreathes... and then I never do because they're expensive. And maybe I'm a little biased, but I think this one is fantastic -- feels very ethereal and mayflower, and is done by my mother and her business partner Susan at Bridlewild Flowers.

And I figured something grandiose should wrap this up. I could go on and on. But I'll send with a piece that speaks for itself. And is the majestic beautiful work of Matthew Robbins, who's work is legitimately some of the best (which goes without saying if you often work shoulder to shoulder with Martha). Stay dry today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment