11.08.2010

Marathon Sunday

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela

Yesterday was Marathon Sunday here in New York, and I'm embarrassed to say not only did I not participate, I barely even watched. There is something so divinely inspiring about physically exertion, and watching 40,000 people push their limits makes it one of the most incredible days of the year.

When I came home from dinner I opened up a folder on my desktop titled "marathon" and read the little take away I wrote the night before the one marathon I've run, what now feels like many moons ago (and I have a theory, that because so many people do run a marathon at one point or another, after a certain number of years has passed with no repeat, you shouldn't really claim to have run one any more... then you're that girl, talking to people who are actively doing things saying, "well... When I ran the marathon...). The one major take away in what I wrote was how good it feels to overcome challenges. And it makes me realize I have no big challenges in my near future -- so the question is, what's my next challenge ? And what is yours ?

{photo is my many-moons-ago run, at Mile 20 when my little sister and Liz jumped in to bring me home]


4 comments:

  1. Cute running pic! As for the future... What about design school? What an amazing challenge you are thinking about taking on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessed with this photo! Should be printed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Meg !! I appreciate the encouragement :). Feels like a while since Ive scared myself with a challenge though, you know ??

    And Jennifer Anne --I like it too :). Maybe Ill have to get it printed somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Meg. But I also love a physical challenge. I'll sign up for one with you. Post-apps and post-acceptance:)

    ReplyDelete