4.29.2010

1 Great Place

I love the sunsets from my apartment window. I read something the other day that mentioned Taps, and I was immediately transported to the edge of my lake at Camp Matoaka where the water quietly lapped against stones and grass, and the cool air rushed in over the horse shoe shaped campfire that pointed out to the water with floating docks and pine trees and paddle boats.

The beautiful weather we're having right now will always bring me to those chilly mornings of flag raising and sticks, rest hours waiting for sticker covered letters and Starburst, songs about fried ham, daisies on toes, and nuts in huts. It brings me to dusty paths, green plastic bus seats, ski docks and buoys. It brings me to waterfront days, campfires in costume, friday night services in white, and clapping. Lots of clapping.

It all felt so important and so right. And maybe it was both. I'll forever pick up my legs when I drive over train tracks and sing There's a Web Like a Spider's Web in my head when I see a campfire. I'll always be a camper at heart.

Taps is such a beautiful song, and for a long time after camp I would sing it to myself when I watched a setting sun, but it hasn't even crossed my mind in years.

So have a happy weekend, and if you get to see a pretty sunset in this glorious weather, think of Taps. This also always felt so important and right, and probably is both.

Day is Done.
Gone the sun.
From the lake, from the hills from the sky.
All is well, safely rest.
God is nigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment